Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Follow me on Facebook

Angel on Fire

Angel on Fire
Available Now

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2012

My husband called me on Friday and told me to take a look at an article regarding homeschooling on CNN.  Since we homeschool two of our three daughters, I shrugged and headed off to read.  Wow!  I could not believe the vitriol spewed in the comment section.  Before I lose you, let me share that I am not one to preach that homeschooling is the best choice.  So far, our girls have been to private day school, public school, private boarding school and public boarding school (gifted state magnet).  What works for us won’t necessarily work for you.  Plus what works for us changes from year to year. Ultimately, I think a child’s education is up to the parents. 

What bothered me most about the comments weren’t the different points of view but rather the negativity and bashing on both sides of the fence.  The United States is an amazing place.  We have freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom of association.  We’re taught to value each other’s differences and to appreciate all people regardless of religion, gender, race or sexual orientation.  In fact, our laws prevent discrimination on these bases.  

So where’s the tolerance?   Whether you homeschool or use a public, private, charter or cyber school, tolerance of others’ choices is key.  We’re a better society if we take time to appreciate that we’re not all the same and we need not make the same choices. 



0 comments: